China is a world leader in the glass industry, boasting some of the top suppliers for insulated glass. However, pricing for these products can vary significantly due to a range of influencing factors. The comments from Dragon Glass will be helpful for you to know more about this.
If want to know the factors that influence the price of insulated glass, we should know what is insulated glass?
What is insulated glass unit?
Insulated glass refers to two or more panes of glass separated by an air or gas-filled space. This design significantly reduces heat transfer, making it a popular choice for energy efficiency in buildings. The Chinese market offers a variety of insulated glass, but understanding what influences their price is crucial before making a purchase decision.
Different types of insulated glass panel:
- Double glazing units
- Laminated insulated glass
- Triple-insulated glass
- Decorative double-glazing units
- Energy saving IGUs
- Curved insulated glass units
- Blinds between IGUs
What the price of insulated glass?
Raw material costs
The primary materials used in manufacturing insulated glass are float glass, aluminum spacers, desiccants, sealants, and sometimes inert gases like argon. Variations in the global market prices of these materials directly impact the cost of the final product.
Float glass of IGUs
Most of the float glass is from our partner factory, which was invested in by our boss Mr.Zhuang, they can ensure the quality, and the other parts are from Xinyi Glass, and China South Glass, which are the top 5 float glass manufacturers in China, which can ensure the quality before processing to IGUs.
Normal spacers used in the IGU are widely aluminum spacers, the disadvantage is high thermal conductivity.
Stainless steel spacer: The thermal conductivity is lower than aluminum, the stainless steel spacer is difficult to bend, and the factory must use steel connectors to connect the spacers. The production efficiency is very low, so it is not widely used among IGU manufacturers.
Insulating gaskets, gaskets are made of metal and plastic materials. The main brands are Alupro, Technoform, Fenzi, Lisec. This is the most widely used warm edge spacer, compared to non-metallic materials, this spacer is more cost-effective and easier to produce.
Non-metallic materials, such as SuperSpacer, TPS, glass fiber strips, etc. The main brand is QUANEX, which has a series of products composed of butyl rubber, desiccant, and structural sealant, so no secondary structural sealant is needed. But the efficiency is not high. The production line that can produce this kind of insulating glass, the promotion and market of non-metallic material spacers are very limited.
Desiccants play a critical role in the production of Insulated Glass Units (IGUs). They are used to absorb residual moisture within the sealed space between the glass panes, preventing condensation and improving the overall performance of the IGU.
There are several types of desiccants:
- Silica Gel: This is the most commonly used desiccant in IGUs. Silica gel is a form of silicon dioxide (SiO2), which is highly porous and can absorb a significant amount of moisture.
- Molecular Sieves: These are another popular choice for IGUs. Molecular sieves are made from synthetic zeolites, which have a uniform pore size that allows them to absorb water molecules while excluding larger molecules. They are particularly effective at very low temperatures.
- Activated Alumina: Activated alumina is used less frequently, but it can be effective in certain applications. It’s made from aluminum oxide (Al2O3) and has a very high surface-area-to-weight ratio, which makes it an excellent absorber of moisture.
- Calcium Oxide: Also known as quicklime or burnt lime, calcium oxide is a strong alkali that is sometimes used as a desiccant. However, its use in IGUs is less common due to its potential reactivity with other materials.
Sealants play a crucial role in the performance and longevity of Insulated Glass Units (IGUs). They help to maintain the integrity of the unit, prevent gas leakage, and keep out moisture.
Popular domestic sealant brands include Sland, Lingzhi, Baiyun, and Guibao, etc. These factories all possess good quality, ensuring the overall performance and safety of insulating glass.
Type of Gas Used
In terms of gas-filled IGUs, these units commonly use inert gases like argon and krypton to improve thermal insulation. Argon gas is a popular choice due to its availability and cost-effectiveness (source). Krypton offers better insulation but is more expensive (source). These gases are less conductive than air, making them an efficient choice for insulating windows
The production process of insulated glass involves several stages, including cutting, grinding, cleaning, spacer assembly, and sealing. More complex processes or additional features such as UV protection or low-emissivity coatings can add to the manufacturing cost.
Glass Thickness and Size
The thickness and size of the insulated glass significantly influence the price. Larger or thicker panes require more raw material and often necessitate specialized handling and installation, adding to the overall cost.
- Glass thickness: 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 15mm, 19mm
- Glass Size: maximum 3300x13000mm, minimum 300x300mm
- Aluminum spacer thickness: 6A, 9A, 12A, 16A, 19A, 20A, 23A, etc…
Technological Advancements of IGUs
The use of advanced technologies in the manufacturing process can increase the product’s price. However, it can also enhance the quality and performance of the insulated glass, providing better value for money.
The Lesec line of Dragon Glass Group can ensure quality, tolerance at a very high standard, and fast delivery, but needs much budget.
What needs to be considered is that when you receive a quote from a supplier, please check whether this price includes transportation, insurance, etc. When comparing quotes from different suppliers, if you find a big difference, you need to be careful. It’s very likely that one party only provided a quote for the glass material part and did not provide services such as transportation. Therefore, this aspect needs to be carefully considered.
A trade term is a standard set of terms used in domestic and international trade to define the responsibilities of buyers and sellers. Trade terms are used to clearly communicate where the responsibility lies for transport costs, risks of loss, and import/export duties.
The International Chamber of Commerce has defined a set of international trade terms called Incoterms (International Commercial Terms), which are widely used in international contracts for the sale of goods. They include:
- EXW (Ex Works): The seller makes the goods available at their premises.
- FOB (Free on Board): The seller delivers the goods on board the vessel nominated by the buyer at the named port of shipment or procures the goods already delivered.
- CFR (Cost and Freight): The seller delivers the goods on board the ship and pays the costs of transport to the specified destination.
- CIF (Cost, Insurance, and Freight): Similar to CFR, but the seller also arranges and pays for insurance protecting the buyer against the risk of loss or damage during transit.
- DDP (Delivered Duty Paid): The seller delivers the goods when it is placed at the disposal of the buyer, and cleared for import.
While the price of insulated glass unit from China’s top suppliers varies due to several factors, it’s clear that understanding these influences can help buyers make informed decisions. Whether you’re seeking to make a bulk purchase or a small order, being aware of these elements can help you find the right product at the best price.
Dragon Glass as a professional top 10 processor in China, always focuses on customer feedback, quality, and budget. We are not willing to offer low prices to win orders, because we firmly believe that if the product is good, then the price will certainly not be cheap. Of course, within our quality products, we continuously optimize our production structure and process to provide the maximum price support possible.